Baking your own Hellema cookie
The mould you received was originally meant for the typical Dutch speculaas. One of the most characteristic ingredients are the spices. We know that these spices are only availabele in a few countries. Therefor we we give you a recipe for sand cookies. We hope you enjoy the baking and of course the eating.
Butter (or margarine) 175 g
Sugar 220 g
Wheat flour 475 g
Egg 20 g
Water 20 g
Salt 3 g
Baking powder 5 g
Flavouring (e.g. vanilla, lemon) according to preference.
The steps are illustrated with the photos underneath this recipe. Click on the photo to enlarge it and you will start the slide show.
Preparation and forming of the dough
- Mix the butter/margarine, sugar, egg, water, salt, baking powder and flavouring in a bowl.
- Add the wheat flour to this mixture
- Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes. The dough must be crumbly before forming, if necessary add some more wheat flour.
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (hot air oven) or 200 degrees C (electrical)
- Sprinkle some flour in the dough mould and remove the extra flour, leaving the mould slightly covered with the flour.
- Press a piece of the dough in the mould. Cut off the excessive dough with a knife.
- Turn the mould upside down and hit it in one time hard on the edge of a firm object. This way the dough piece will fall out of the mould.
- Place the formed piece of dough on a greased baking sheet to be continued by all other pieces.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven:
- +/- 10 minutes for smaller pieces of dough
- 15 - 18 minutes for larger pieces of dough